These are my very favorite sugar cookies. The almond extract makes them extra delicious. You can roll them out on a cookie sheet to make cookie bars, or you can use cookie cutters to make festive shapes.
We like them with colored sugar sprinkled on top or with frosting. Either way, they are going to fly off the plate.
Go here to find out how to make your own colored sugar (much cheaper than buying it at the store.)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract (or lemon)
- 3⁄4 tsp baking powder
- 4 (or 4 1/2) cups flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla, almond extract. Mix well.
- Add baking powder and sugar and mix again.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time. If you are making immediately, use 4 1⁄2 cups of flour. If you are waiting to make the cookies later, put the dough in a ziplock and refrigerate/freeze.
- Roll out to 3/8” thick and cut shapes.
- Bake for 7 mins. Be careful that they do not get too brown.
- 2 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 Tbls. milk
- 1⁄4 tsp lemon or almond flavor
- Mix ingredients with a wire whisk until it is smooth. It will take a bit, but be patient.
- Use a butter knife to spread the frosting on the cookie or pipe on with a pastry.
- The frosting will “settle” and smooth into a shiny surfaces.